Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Mar 9 2021 Day 40 Numbers 19:1–21:35



But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me, to show my holiness before the eyes of the Israelites, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them.”

Moses and Aaron have been told that they will not be able to go into the land God has given them because of their distrust in God. This is huge for me. It highlights the distinction between forgiving and forgetting, between the sinner and the sin. God will always forgive, always show mercy. God, however, will also not forget the sin. God’s forgiveness does not mean the consequences of sin are wiped away. Just like Aaron and Moses, sometimes the sin has consequences, even though God loves and forgives us always.

In the Lord’s Prayer, we pray that God forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Since our forgiveness is to be like God’s forgiveness, our forgiveness does not equate to forgetting, any more than God forgets the sins. God forgives, and still there may be consequences of our sin. Likewise, we are asked to forgive, and there may still be consequences of the sin. Forgiveness does not mean that we need to wipe away consequences of those whom we are asked to forgive. Forgiveness, perhaps means that we are genuinely able to wish the sinner well, to pray for them. In the world, this may look like my ability to genuinely pray for those who’ve wronged me, or for leaders who I believe have harmed those they’re leading. Pray for those people with a genuine and deep desire that God’s love is shown to them, and that they prosper in God’s kingdom.

On a personal level, this is hard. For victims of abuse, forgiveness may look like praying for God’s love on the abuser, and that may take a long time to achieve. In my world, my sick loved one says and does things that are hurtful. Forgiveness in my home may look like genuinely praying for their well being, despite the hurt. But I am not asked to forget.

There are times when I cannot provide the support or accommodations requested by my loved one, because I’m still stinging from a hurt. I know it’s the illness. I know that deep down, they love me. And deep down, I genuinely forgive their behavior, and pray for the best. And still sometimes there is a consequence for the hurt, at least while it still stings. Over time, perhaps the sting fades, and I do arrive at a place of forgive and forget. But forgiveness does not demand forgetting; rather forgetting is a consequence of living in a place of forgiveness, and over time the sting of the sin fades and we forget. This morning, I’m thinking about forgiving. . . . . . . then maybe forgetting. But these two are not concurrent, nor is forgetting a requirement. If I start with forgiveness, I can be at peace, and although there may be consequences of the sin, I may also get to the peaceful place of forgetting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment