Monday, September 13, 2021

Sep 13 2021 Day 178 Ecclesiastes 9:1–12:14


Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the skillful; but time and chance happen to them all.



And so we conclude our journey through Ecclesiastes. I’m conflicted about this, as I don’t really believe that our life, our tears and laughter, our war and love, our sowing and reaping, I don’t think that’s all a matter of chance. Of course, we do go through all those seasons, and it is true that the race is not always won by the swift, nor the battle to the strong, etcetera. But chance?

The accompanying reflection is from Frederick Buechner, who suggests that God’s ways will always win. If we want a season of laughter and God has this time pegged for a season of tears, God’s tears will win. That is certainly true.

Are we just walking through this life, awaiting God’s next predestined season for us? Or is our life one big crap shoot? And does the answer to that change how I live? I guess for me I’m more inclined to believe that I am a contributing author in my life, while God is the author and editor. My actions and my beliefs can affect the outcome of this season or the race I’m in. I’m not sure where the analogy came from but it’s like a mother who lets their child learn to ride a bike. The child may fall down and get hurt, and the mother lets them try anyway. The mother keeps the child out of mortal danger, or at least tries. God wants us to learn to ride a bike, and lets us try. And sometimes that puts us in a season of tears.

If I believed that my entire life was predestined, every choice I made, every outcome, I think it would be demoralizing to think that I had no impact on my world. Again, God has the ultimate say, and I think God wants me to be an active participant in how my life unfolds. And regardless of whatever good or crummy choices I make, I think God says, “I can work with that”.

Likewise, if I thought my life was just a matter of capricious chance, that would be demoralizing too.

In either of those extremes, I have no impact. My actions wouldn’t matter. That would be hard for me. Thinking also about the really downtrodden, I would find either of those extremes unpalatable. Do I believe God predestines someone to have a debilitating mental illness, or to be homeless, or to die in a New York skyscraper? Or do I think that’s just bad luck? I don’t like either of those extreme explanations. Again, I think we are contributing authors, with some impact.

There are plenty of imponderables when it comes to my role in my outcome. I do know that God ultimately is in change, and desires good for me. This morning, that is enough.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your line of thought. Throughout these past seven years since H’s accident we have grappled with this. We’ve lived through crushing heartache and moments of joy. We’ve come together as a modern family, Vic and I plus Hs dad and his partner. We’ve experienced (and still are experiencing) financial devastation. And we work everyday to see the gifts God provided in the midst of it.
    She has come a long way and at almost 26 is more or less launching. I acknowledge the huge weight of what you all experience with your loved one. I pray for continued grace and moments of peace for you.

    ReplyDelete