Thursday, September 9, 2021

Sep 9 2021 Day 176 Ecclesiastes 1:1–2:26



The wise have eyes in their head, but fools walk in darkness.



51%. Looking at the amount of this book we’ve read, we’re finally past the half way mark. That’s something to be celebrated.

Other than the words to the Pete Seger song, “To everything, turn, turn, turn. There is a season, turn, turn turn”, I must admit that I was not very familiar with Ecclesiastes. And starting the book, it’s a bit of a downer. It’s attributed to Solomon, but that’s contested. Regardless, it begins with the author talking about being wise, gaining wisdom, toiling hard. And in the end, he muses, the good, hard working, wise man dies, just like the fool. “Vanity of vanities. All is vanity.”

If a man gains wisdom, he eventually dies and what does it matter that he was wise? Besides, when he gains wisdom, he also gains vexation (a woefully underused word, I’d say). If a man toils, what does it matter because when he dies his hard work goes to the next man, who may not have ever toiled for it. And what use is there in laughter? The author repeatedly says all of these things – seeking wisdom, toiling, being wise, acquiring stuff like gardens, houses, slaves - all of it is like chasing the wind, signifying nothing under the sun.

Hmm. I suppose in a big existential way, these things don’t signify anything. I was just thinking last night that my parents are not on this earth any more, and their toil and possessions and wisdom have vanished. It’s like they never were here.

Except I’m here. And I am who I am because of their wisdom, and toiling. So maybe if we just think of ourselves, the author is right. Seeking all of this and working hard is like chasing the wind. It won’t change the fact that we’ll die and someone else will live in our houses, and enjoy our possessions. The vanity of vanities, I think is when we think we’re doing this for ourselves, or for our own grandeur.

When we realize that we do all of this for the legacy we leave, I don’t think it’s vanity or useless. The people we encounter – whether it’s friends, family or colleagues, they are affected by us. And so on, and so on, and so on. And I’m formed by who my parents were, and my friends and colleagues, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Thinking about my current situation, I’m knee-deep in a major house overhaul, and the water is rising. It’s too easy for me to jump out of bed, and start on my tasks at the house. Without the structure of a paying job, it’s been hard to contain my house toiling. It creeps into the time I want to be reading and reflecting on scripture.

Part of that is legitimate. My husband and I are creating a mental health shelter for one, with all of the necessary supports, and infrastructure. That is good and holy work. I need to be on the lookout for the vanity that creeps in, however. This house is an old and majestic home, that we want to bring back to its former glory. I need to watch out though that it’s not me seeking the vain-glory.

This morning, I’m thinking about chasing the wind, and trying to make sure I keep my priorities on what’s really important, rather than vanity that whispers that we should strive to be important, smart, wise, wealthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment