Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Sep 14 2021 Day 179 Song of Solomon 1:1–4:16 


Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine.



Hmm. The Song of Songs opens with the indication that this book was written by Solomon, and apparently, that was enough for it to be included in the original Hebrew scripture. Its meaning, and the meaning attributed to it since its writing is a convoluted story. It’s frequently been used as an allegory for God’s love of the church.

The book is full of sensual and nearly erotic talk about the love and desire between a bride and bridegroom. It appears that it was taken at face value and sung in settings where a sensual and nearly erotic song would be sung. Why else would first or second Rabbi Akiva allegedly say, “he who sings the Song of Songs in wine taverns, treating it as if it were a vulgar song, forfeits his share in the world to come.” But despite its carnal nature, Rabbi Akiva fully supported its inclusion in Hebrew Scripture, because of its holy nature (based on the allegorical reading).

Two or three hundred years later, a Christian mystic named Origen continued the holy interpretation, suggesting that the book actually refers to Christ’s love of the church. In the 11th century, a moral interpretation was added, and the 12th century added the understanding that the bride was Mary. This book has also become a Judaic mystical foundational piece of Kabbalah.

I include this divergent history for a reason. This book has finally given me some answers as to why I struggle with poetry and allegories. All of this layered meaning makes my black and white world a very muddled and marbled grey. Two smart, respectable people read the same text and come up with vastly different meanings, my sense of order is challenged. Which one is right? Clearly there is ONE accurate interpretation, right?

Obviously, the answer is that no, there is not one correct answer when different people read mystical or allegorical text. I suspect that even with very concrete text, different people can interpret it differently. Come to think of it, as I read scripture, sometimes I understand something differently than I previously understood it. So interpretations differ. And maybe, despite the risk of my head exploding, that’s all right.

If I think of this literally, these first chapters of Song of Songs is beautiful, if not foreign. I am not aware of any lovers who actually talk like this. That may be historical context, but I have a hard time imagining anyone speaking to their beloved like that, “your breasts are like two fawns”.

If I assume this is about God’s love, I get a little squeamish, as I’m not sure I like God thinking about my breasts.

I apologize in advance if my thoughts about the Song of Songs sounds more like psychotherapy, or if I miss the mark on the meaning. I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment