Friday, October 1, 2021

Oct 1 2021 Day 192 Isaiah 45:1–48:22



Woe to you who strive with your Maker, earthen vessels with the potter!



What a ridiculous notion, that the clay pot would complain to the potter, the created complaining to the creator; clay can’t think or talk. Or so says my literal brain.

Obviously, this isn’t really about clay. And my overly literal brain always struggles with things like this. Analogies like this must make sense to the author; it’s the way they can best describe something that’s otherwise indescribable. I suppose I can wrap my head around analogies, but I really need to first understand the indescribable, which seems backwards. But once I understand the concept, I too can rely on comparisons. I get so wrapped up in the analogy that I miss the bigger point. The good part about writing and reflecting is that it forces me to sit longer and rest in language that I’d normally just read and think “clay can’t talk”, and move on.

So now that I’m sitting with this a little longer, here’s what I think. First of all, clay can’t think. And beyond that, the clay pot is entirely conceived, formed and created by the potter. Other than the raw materials of the clay, there is nothing of the clay pot that didn’t come from the potter. Without the potter, the pot would not exist.

So it is with us. Without God, we would not exist. My thoughts, my skills, my opportunities, my insights, all come from God. My health, my breath, my family, all comes from God. Without God, I would be.. I’m not sure, but I am sure it wouldn’t amount to much.

And yet, we rail at God and about what God’s done in our life. We complain about circumstances, health, thoughts, conditions. Does the pot realize who it’s complaining to? Obviously not. Do we have any idea who we’re complaining to? Obviously not.

Since the potter made the pot in its entirety, it’s absurd to think that the pot would complain about the size of its handle. Doesn’t the pot know that the potter made it precisely like it was supposed to be made? The potter had a reason for the pot handle.

Since God made us in our entirety, it’s absurd to think that we would complain about circumstances, health, thought, conditions, breath, family, skills, opportunities.. All of these things are God-created. Who am I to complain, especially since I believe God has a plan for all things. I may not understand the plan, or may not be able to see the purpose of a part of my story, but I’m absolutely convinced God has a plan and it is a good plan.

If it’s true that we shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds us, it’s probably even more true that we should not bite the hand that creates and sustains us.

This morning I’m thinking about the absurdity of complaining about things in my world, when everything about my world is God created and God sustained. Since God is good, so is my world.


No comments:

Post a Comment