Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Oct 6 2021 Day 197 Jeremiah 1:1–4:31


Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.” But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a boy’; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you



As we continue our continuous reading of the Bible, we now land it Jeremiah. Jeremiah was both a reluctant and unlucky prophet. He didn’t want to be sharing the hard messages God was asking him to do. When God asked him, he argued. Ah, Lord. Truly I do not know how to speak. Hmm. If God is powerful enough to speak to Jeremiah and ask him to be God’s messenger, don’t you think God would equip Jeremiah with what he needed? That’s basically God’s response. Do not be afraid, for I am with you to deliver you.

It makes so much sense that God would only ask Jeremiah to do something that then God was going to equip Jeremiah to accomplish. But how many times do I make the same argument to God? I can’t do that, I’m only one person. I can’t do that, it’s too hard. I can’t do that, I’ve never done that before. God smiles, having heard these excuses from all humanity throughout all ages.

Sometimes we walk away from the ask, even though God has tried to assure us we’re equipped, and that God will deliver us. The burden is too heavy. The risks too great. I can imagine God shaking God’s head, wondering what could have been done so that our trust was greater than our fear.

Jeremiah did not have an easy time; God never promised ease. He promised deliverance. Maybe that’s another reason we walk away from God’s call. We want it to be easy. But Jeremiah didn’t walk away. He responded to God’s request.

Right now, I have lots of things that feel like it could be God’s request of me. It could be continuing to rehab my mental health wrap-around service site for one, pursuing new ministries in my new community, supporting my loved one as they settle, finding paying work, writing. All of these things feel a little daunting, heavy, or hard. They’re a little easier with a good night’s sleep, and with supportive family and friends.

This morning, I’m thinking about what excuses I throw up to God in response to God’s requests of me. I’m also thinking about how to tip the balance towards trusting God, rather than arguing with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment