Friday, February 1, 2019

Feb 1 2019 Mark 6:47-56

Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased.




The disciples are in the boat by themselves, having been sent away by themselves while Jesus stayed back to pray. They’re struggling against the storm. Jesus sees them, walks out on the water, and because they saw and were afraid, he got in the boat. At that, the wind ceased.

For many, the memorable part of this story is that Jesus walked on the water. To me, the most memorable part is that he calmed the storm. I’ve no doubt that God incarnate can walk on water, move mountains, heal. I am comforted that he joined his oafish disciples – who still didn’t understand about Jesus and the miracle of feeding the 5000, even though it had just occurred – in their terror and calmed the storm.

He calmed the storm for his disciples whose hearts were hardened and didn’t understand, even though they’d stopped what they were doing to follow Jesus, and been witness to, or participants in God’s miracles.

We too have been witnesses to God’s miracles. We’ve been participants, or bearers of God’s miracles. And we are also hard hearted. Even though I believe, I forget. Especially when I’m swirling in my own storm. I forget that Jesus can calm the sea. Jesus can pilot my battered ship safely to shore. If I remember to look up and ask.

(somehow yesterday's post was not actually posted, but was waiting for me to post when I opened my computer. oops. so today, there are two)

No comments:

Post a Comment