Saturday, February 16, 2019

Feb 16 2019 Mark 10: 46-52

“Take heart; get up, he is calling you”

As we continue to skip through the book of Mark, today we hear of the blind beggar, Bartimaeus. He hears that Jesus is walking by and calls to Jesus to heal him. A blind beggar would have been a pretty miserable wretch in those days – not unlike today. When faced with this wretched creature calling out for mercy, those around Jesus called out to the beggar.

But they did not start out with a loving, welcoming response. Their first response when faced with this blind beggar was to “sternly order him to be quiet”. The beggar does not give up, but rather calls out more insistently. Jesus hears the beggar, and orders his disciples to call the man here. Only after the beggar’s second plea to Jesus. Only after Jesus’ order to have the disciples to call the man. Only then did his disciples respond with the “take heart, get up”.

Guilty as charged. Again. How often do I come across wretched souls who are crying out for help, and I walk by. Just last night, we were out for a walk in downtown Portland and came across a beggar, asking for change. I didn’t stop. I didn’t even acknowledge his humanity with eye contact, or a kind word.

I don’t tend to give to beggars. I’m too judgmental, and do not want to second guess their intentions or subsequent actions. For me, it’s better to not give my change. Then I’m not tempted to judge them. But I strive to respond by acknowledging their presence, with eye contact, a smile, and a kind word, even if that word is “Not tonight, I’m sorry.”

Sometimes I’ve been disturbed in prayer or my day job by someone crying out for help. And while I may not actually sternly order them to be quiet, I sure think it.

Whether I walk by the beggar, or try to ignore the bothersome interrupter, I’m not unlike the crowds surrounding Jesus. I’ve got my purpose. I’m doing my thing. I’m in the club closely following Jesus. Sometimes, I don’t want to be disturbed, or distracted. Sometimes I don’t want me and my fellow club members to have to include someone else who’s not like we are.

In most cases, that’s when Jesus calls out to me to say, Call him here. Not only am I not allowed to ignore, walk past, order quiet. I’m expected to turn, and invite, engage, welcome. Even when I’m busy doing something else! Even when it’s inconvenient. Even when the other person isn’t like my current club members. I’m called to fix that. Thank God Jesus is around to catch us when we sternly order anyone to be quiet, and stop bothering Jesus for Mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment