Thursday, February 14, 2019

Feb 14 2019 2 Timothy 2:14-26

Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.

Guilty as charged.  Those who know me know that for me, there are few arguments that are not worth entering. I’m not frightened or angered by them. Sometimes it’s a sport. Sometimes the other person is so patently wrong, I cannot walk away. Sometimes I need to be right. Even writing that down, it looks so wrong!

After nearly 30 years of marriage, I’m beginning to discover that entering an agreement because he’s so wrong, is in fact stupid and senseless.  Who cares?  The same with kids.

The reading in Timothy continues that the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome (guilty), but kindly to everyone.  Hmm.  I think I do that.  Maybe my attempt to be kindly is being thwarted by my arguing. I can enter an argument with no malice or anger, just a sense of collegial banter. But maybe I’ve underestimated the impact of my sporty disagreements.

The passage goes on to say that instead of stupid and senseless arguments, we should correct opponents with gentleness, to be an apt teacher.  Hmm. I’m guessing that’s a much more effective, loving way to walk through life. Maybe that results in fewer quarrels.  Maybe I’ll try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment