Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Feb 26 2019 Psalm 122


The LORD shall watch over your going out and your coming in, from this time forth for evermore. 

There are a lot of images of God’s vastness and majesty. Of the God who made the heavens and earth, who tells the sea where to stop. The God who is omnipresent, omni-loving. That image of God is awe inspiring. 

Today’s psalm ends with something that for me, is equally awe inspiring. God watches out over your going out and your coming in. Wow. That’s a very minute, and often boring detail about my day. Just in the 30 minutes I’ve been awake I’ve had dozens of going outs and coming ins.  I got out of bed. I come in to the living room. I go to the kitchen to get coffee. I come back to the living room to read, pray and write. I’m still in my PJ’s, and yet this psalm reminds me God is present, watching over my every going out and coming in.

 For as much as the star-creating God is wonderous because of God’s vastness, the watching-over-my-every-move God is wonderous because its particularness. My every coming. My every going. That pretty much is my everything. Elsewhere in Scripture,  we hear about the God who has counted every hair on my head. But for some reason, the image of every coming and every going is so personal that this morning, I’m struck by the nearness of God throughout my day and my every action. 

If I could remember that throughout my day – God watches over my every move – what would be different?  How can I bring that awareness into today’s every action? Maybe today I’ll try to remember this in the mundane moments. Maybe today, every time I enter or leave a room, I’ll use that door threshold as a visual prompt that God is with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment