Thursday, April 11, 2019

Apr 11 2019 John 10: 19-42




How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.



Poor Jesus. He’s tromping around Jerusalem performing miracles, talking about his father in heaven, and still the authorities haven’t seen. Exasperatedly, they ask him how long he’ll keep them in suspense. Exasperatedly, he responds that he has told them, and shown them and still they don’t believe. What more can I do?



The authorities look thick, asking this question when the answer is obvious, right? Except it’s only obvious to us because we have the luxury of time and having heard the story dozens of times. If I was in their shoes, I’m guessing I’d be in a s similar space. Could you just plainly tell me?  What Jesus was saying and doing was blasphemous to the religious authorities and traitorous to the political authorities. Of course they had a challenge believing it. I would too.



More real, I say stupid things like this all the time, when the answer is clear. If I don’t like what I see, or don’t like the answer, I have been know to shop for a better answer, or to ask the question again thinking I’ll get a different answer. It costs how much? What again are you planning to do?  



The authorities aren’t thick. They’re human. We do have a hard time hearing what we don’t want to hear, or believing what we can’t believe we’re seeing. And when God’s involved, that’s even more apparent. Today, I want to strive to listen, see and believe the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment