Saturday, April 13, 2019

Apr 13 2019 John 11:28-44




 Jesus wept.



I went to college with a wonderful woman, who was raised by an Episcopalian mother, and a father who was agnostic on a good day, not unlike my parents, or come to think of it, my nuclear family. In any case, she talked about how they took turns with grace at dinner. Her dad, not wanting to waste time, and probably being a little cheeky, prayed this prayer, Jesus wept. Amen. His claim was that it was biblical, and more importantly, the shortest verse in the Bible.



I’m not certain it was the best prayer at the table, but it worked for them, and makes a great memory. This morning, I’m thinking about that verse.



In yesterday’s reading, we heard that Jesus waited – on purpose – to go to the house of Lazarus, because through the illness and death, the son of God would be glorified. Even after he heard that Lazarus was ill, and even though he loved Lazarus and his sisters, Martha and Mary, Jesus waits to go.


When he shows up, Martha meets him en route, angry because her brother has died. Jesus continues and meets up with Mary and the rest of the weeping Jews. The scripture says that Jesus is moved. And Jesus wept.




What are we to make of this?  Jesus, fully divine, it seems has let Lazarus die, but has some greater plan. What I’m thinking about this morning is that Jesus is also fully human, not above fully human emotions and pains. More importantly to me this morning is that Jesus choses to have these fully human emotions and pains. You’d think as the man-God, Jesus could avoid that pesky crying, especially in this story, when he clearly has a plan for something amazing with Lazarus, so the ‘son of God can be glorified’. And yet, Jesus wept.



Christ didn’t avoid or transcend grief, or pain, or all of the messy emotions we have. If Christ didn’t, it seems that we as Christians shouldn’t expect to either. Being Christian doesn’t mean that we’re exempt from grief or pain. Christ himself wasn’t. This man-God allowed himself to go through pain and suffering. There must be some benefit to grief and tears, otherwise wouldn’t Christ have sailed through that part?  Skipped it all together? Looking ahead to the week before Christ’s execution, there is a lot of pain and suffering to come. Jesus could skip that part. 


Instead, Jesus weeps. This Saturday before Holy Week,  I want to be aware of all of my emotions, good and bad, church-induced and family-induced. Instead of trying to barrel through them or skipping them all together, I want to rest in my emotion. And know that I am not alone. God experienced all of these emotions, as Jesus Christ fully human. And God is with me this week, as I experience them, as Jesus Christ fully divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment