Monday, June 10, 2019

Jun 10 2019 Luke 18:31-43


Then he shouted, 'Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!



Jesus has again told his disciples he’ll be handed over and bad things will happen. Luke reports that the disciples understood nothing. They come upon a blind beggar sitting by the road. Upon learning it’s Jesus, he shouts “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’. But the people in front of the blind man told him to be quiet. So, he yelled even louder, crying out for Jesus. Jesus ordered the man to be brought over to him. In response to Jesus’ question, the man says he wants to see, and Jesus heals him, saying his faith has healed him.



This is another healing story of Jesus, and right now in my life, I find them a little tiresome. I have a sick family member, and while I do have absolute faith they could be healed by God, I don’t believe it’s likely. Nor do I believe that un-healing is the result of my lack of faith, or theirs. The good news is that beyond the  “your faith has saved you”, there is plenty of things to contemplate, pray and find good.



The crowds first shushed the blind man. As a blind beggar, he was pretty far down the social ladder. Their command to have him be quiet I can imagine was in part because Jesus was important and busy, and in a larger part because the beggar was embarrassing. While I would hope I don’t jump to that judgment about others seeking God, I hope I never ever try to discourage anyone from finding God, entering church, praying.



My sick loved one has taken up praying and reading the Bible. Given the rest of their symptoms and behavior, I’m occasionally unsure of their motive, and occasionally judgmental about the sincerity. And yet the other night they asked us to put our hands in a certain pose (not a normal prayer pose) and we each took turns praying. I have no idea what they’re thinking or intending. But I have absolute faith that God does. And with their clouded petition, God is invoked and present.



The second part I really appreciate about this healing story is that Jesus engaged the help of the very people who tried to quiet the man. Jesus didn’t go over and heal him, he told the crowds – presumably the same ones who’d told him to be quiet – to bring him over. And they did.



From this little bit, I get a sense of peace too. Even if I’m ever more like the crowds in the first part of the story, trying to thwart others from connecting with God in whatever way they can, I am still invited to have a change of heart and bring them in.

This morning, I’m thinking about how to spot the times when I may be creating a stumbling block between someone and God, even if I don’t mean to be doing it. And if I do, how to then turn and be the one who brings them closer to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment