Friday, June 14, 2019

June 14 2019 Ecclesiasticus 45: 6-16

Moses ordained him, and anointed him with holy oil; it was an everlasting covenant for him and for his descendants as long as the heavens endure, to minister to the Lord and serve as priest and bless his people in his name.



This section of Scripture contains this long and somewhat archaic description of Aaron and his royal priesthood. He was clothed in symbols of authority, like linen undergarments, and an ephod, which is a vest-like thing that priests wore. There were bells all around him so when he walked, the people in the temple could hear and be reminded of prayer. And, the best part?  He was encircled with pomegranates. Now that’s holiness!



I trust that if I looked into each of the symbols it would be very meaningful. But for now, I’m focusing on the symbols I understand, and see. The idea that Moses ordained Aaron, and that it was an everlasting covenant to both Aaron and his descendants forever. That he was anointed with holy oil.



Aaron did the same, ordaining others to be priests, anointing them with holy oil. And so on, and so on, and so on. All the way to current day. The Bishop of Oregon was ordained and anointed with holy oil by someone who was ordained and anointed with holy oil, and so on, and so on, and so on.



Next week, I have the great honor of participating in this ancient tradition. The Episcopal Church will be ordaining four wonderful people, all of whom will become priests. They will be anointed with holy oil, by someone who was anointed by holy oil, and so on.



The rich history of these liturgical symbols are powerful and deep, and do in fact mean something. When done well, everything we do in liturgy is powerful, deep and meaningful. It’s easy to forget that and get into the habit of just doing it because that’s the way we’ve always done it. But when I read that Aaron was anointed with holy oil, I’m reminded that the holy oil we’ll use next week is holy, and is a reminder forever for priests to minister and bless the people.



This morning, I’m thinking about how grateful I am to be a part of this rich and deep tradition. I’m grateful because I’m a part of a faith that has these rich and deep liturgies. Week by week, I recite words recited throughout the world and throughout the ages. And in very immediate sense, I’m a part of it because next week, I’ll hold the oil, while the bishop anoints the ordained. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment