Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Oct 2 2019 Matthew 7: 13-21

The gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. The gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Next to the Bible, I find a good amount of good theology in the Harry Potter books. Albus Dumbledore. Or maybe the author used the same primary source as I did. I’m not sure, but Dumbledore had a great quote, that summarized this well, and now millions of people have heard it. Looking ahead to the troubles he and Harry were facing, he told Harry, “Dark Times lie ahead of us, and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy, and what is right.”

Hmm. Easy, wide path leading to destruction. Right, narrow gate that leads to life. And between the two, stand us, having to choose.

It’s as if these choices between right and wrong, life and destruction are set up in an like mini-golf, and the there are two choices to get to the hole. One looks easy, and the other is full of obstacles. Human nature will always aim for the simple strait path. The challenge, I think is that when faced with an easy wide path, or narrow hard path, we loose sight of the end-game, and simply think about the journey. Regardless of where it leads, we choose easy, losing sight of where it leads.

It seems that with the complexities of life, it only makes sense for us to try to go for easy, whenever possible. I’m always looking for an easier, more efficient way to do most everything. What if I’m inadvertently but persistently choosing easy or right, as Dumbledore said, or wide path versus hard road, in Jesus’ words?

There must be a reason why we’re wired for easy, when that’s definitely not always the right choice. This is especially true if you’re trying to be mindful during life. My preference would likely be to walk on an easy path, being thoughtful about the simplicity of that path, rather than to pick the difficult narrow path. It’s much easier to stop and smell the flowers along the way if it’s a simpler walk.

All of this is to say that I’m troubled by the idea that what’s easy and simple isn’t inherently right. It means that when faced with a choice between something easy and not so easy, I must keep my eye on the destination. If I’m focused too much on the journey, then I can, and probably will, pick the simpler, easy path. It’s easier to smell roses on that path, and life is hard enough already. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how focusing too much on the journey allows me to blithely and obliviously pick the easier path, that leads away from what I really want. In Jesus’ terms, I want to choose life, over destruction, every time. In Dumbledore’s, I want to choose what’s right. Knowing that my gut reaction will likely be for what’s easy, I need to focus on the end. Love God. Love your neighbor. Keep my eyes on that, and maybe I’ll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment