Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Oct 23 2019 Matthew 10:16-22


[D]o not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.


If only I could remember this, every day, every minute, before I open my mouth. I’ve experienced this occasionally. And mostly when I’m very intentional about listening to God. Sometimes, when I pause before speaking, something comes out of my mouth that isn’t what I thought I was going to say. Sometimes I just come up with a witty response that is snappy, but not of God. But sometimes, something more loving and grace-filled leaves my mouth and I marvel every time.

I’ve experienced this also with writing. When working on a sermon, I work and stew, and nearly every time, there comes a point where ideas and words flow. I fine tune, but even with that, there comes a point where I know it’s right. It’s the right idea and right words. I’m not suggesting I hear a still small voice, or that Jesus gives me the ‘thumbs up’. But there is a peaceful sense of right-ness. In all honestly, there have been a few times I don’t get to that place with a sermon; it never quite feels right. But Sunday comes anyway. But those are very very infrequent.

I also experience this sense of the Holy Spirit offering the words when I write in the morning. I start simply with a phrase that strikes me, from the morning prayer readings. I put it at the top of the page, and start writing. I’ve no idea where it’s heading when I start typing, but words flow. It’s actually a joy to see what happens and where it turns out. More poignant for me is the acknowledgment that my witty, logical, introverted self does not have to 1) shy away from writing or speaking things that I don’t think I’m good at 2) be in charge 3) make sense of everything.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that everything I say or write is divinely inspired; far from it. Nor do I think that every time I’m in a pickle, the Holy Spirit will always give me the right words. But I do believe that if I’m in a pickle, I’m always better off giving Her the space to make an appearance. 

This morning, I’m thinking about how grateful I am to have the opportunities to speak and write things when I don’t know what I’m doing, and how wonderful it is when the Holy Spirit does show up. For the next few very busy days, I want to remember that I don’t need to worry about what to say or write; I need to make space for the Holy Spirit to make Her appearance. Come, Holy Spirit, come.

No comments:

Post a Comment