Saturday, April 18, 2020

Apr 18 2020 2 Corinthians 4:16-5:10

He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.


Paul is continuing his talk to the church in Corinth. Do not lose heart. We walk by faith and not by sight. All sorts of great supporting cheers. Those are nice to read. And I’m grateful also that he includes his explanation of why, why we should not lose heart. Why we should walk by faith.

God has prepared us. God has prepared us for this precise moment, these exact challenges. I’m not suggesting that Paul, in uttering these words, knew about our 2020 pandemic. He didn’t know about social distancing, or the crushing economic impact from shutting down the world wide economy. But Paul knows about God. He knows that God is bigger than all of our woes. God created everything that is.

God has seen the impact of disease, and economic ruin. And God has prepared us all. I definitely don’t always feel prepared, but I trust that I’m right where I’m supposed to be, doing my best – mostly.

God has also given us the Holy Spirit that dwells within each of us. The Spirit remains with us, in the midst of the mire. I can’t see the Spirit, any more than I can see God, but I do occasionally have a sense of the Spirit in me, or the Spirit in others.

We can do this because God has made us, God has prepared us, God is with us. With that knowledge, it’s easier to hear the encouraging words. Do not lose heart. We walk by faith.

This morning, I'm thinking about all those modern day pep talks I see. You've got this! Nurses, you're the best! I'm thinking about how we need to have those positive affirmations. I'm also thinking that I'm extremely grateful to occasionally be reminded why.  We’ve got this, because God’s got us.

No comments:

Post a Comment