Monday, April 27, 2020

Apr 27 2020 Luke 10: 38-42 Feast of St. Zita

‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?

Zita, a saint, I’ve never heard of, was born in Tuscany, and at the age of 12 became a servant of a family. She was humble, and worked hard, and had great faith. For years, she was unjustly and cruelly treated by the family and fellow workers. The description of her, however says that the “incessant ill-usage was powerless to deprive her of her inward peace, her love of those who wronged her, and respect for her employers.” Her persistent peaceful loving response eventually turned the hearts of those around her, and she became well loved.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that people who are mal-treated should always turn the other cheek. I can’t speak for anyone but me. But for me, I find great wisdom in Zita’s strategy. If I come into a situation with a peaceful heart, I am the only one who can give that peace away; I’m the only one who can deprive me of my peace.

I find this exceptionally relevant in my world. I have situations in my home that could create anything but a peaceful heart. I start most days with a very peaceful heart. I am peaceful in part because I’ve slept well, and generally have a positive calm outlook. And then the day happens. Sometimes, I’m able to conclude the day with the same peaceful heart. Other times, however, any number of things has gotten me wrapped around the axle, and peace is illusive.

The appointed reading for this saint, is a little ironic, especially for me. The story of Mary and Martha has always rubbed me a little bit the wrong way. Martha is preparing for Jesus’ visit, and doing all the work. Mary sits at Jesus’ feet. Martha whines to Jesus about her sister’s lack of work, and Jesus says that Mary is doing the better work. As a consummate Martha, I’ve always thought Martha got the short end of this stick. We can’t ALL sit at Jesus’ feet. Someone needs to get the table ready.

Paring this reading with the reflection about St. Zita, I’m thinking a little differently. Martha’s problem wasn’t that she was doing, instead of sitting. I think her problems were two-fold.

First, she was not doing for God; she’d gotten swept up in the tasks and neglected to connect them to Jesus, to what she was doing for Jesus. There’ve been times I’ve been able to be so focused on prayer, or gratitude, that something like chopping onions or sweeping the porch can absolutely feel prayerful. I am sitting at Jesus’ feet, while chopping, or driving. This is when I’m in the zone, and it definitely doesn’t happen all the time!

The other problem with Martha was that she was comparing her tasks with someone else’s. Her work was not better or worse, although her perspective was. Her work was not inherently worse. I feel like I know about this! I’ve joked that I’ve been on a very successful downward mobility career path for the past 15 years. I have less money, less prestige, but more time, and more clarity about my life’s purpose.

This reminds me of missionaries I’ve met. I can only imagine that they make less than they once did, are doing more ‘menial tasks’ than they once did, and may sometimes wonder about doing all the work, while others’ sit at Jesus’ feet. But it’s their God-focused mission about the work they’re doing that differentiates them from whiny Martha. I want to be more like that.

St. Zita turned her domestic chores in to a mission field, doing the work for God, and recognizing that all work is meaningful and can provide a peaceful heart, if we stay connected to God.

This morning, I’m thinking about my menial tasks. About how I am allowed to care for God’s sick child who lives in my house, regardless of the conflict they cause. About how I’m allowed to connect and support people of the church. About how I get to sweep and chop for God. I want this peaceful heart to stay with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment