Thursday, September 12, 2019

Sep 12 2019 Philippians 2:12-30

It is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.


Paul is writing to the people of Philippi, and in a section that’s largely about who he’s hoping to send in his absence, I find this pithy little sentence. It is God’s work in us that enables us. Enables us to want God’s good pleasure, and to work for God’s good pleasure.

Paul is saying that God’s presence provides two critical components to any good we do. Both must be present for the good to be accomplished – the desire to want to, and the ability to work to accomplish that good. I want to volunteer at a nearby non-profit. If it is God’s will, I’ll have everything I need to do so. And that good work will be accomplished.

I have heard the words, “If it is God’s will”, when speculating about possible good things or possibilities. New jobs, new ministry, new homes. For a long time in my life, I felt like that was a cop out. There were too many humans and decisions that would more immediately affect the outcome. The new job will come if the hiring panel picks me. The new ministry will come if I work hard enough. But I increasingly understand that it’s God’s action that creates the will in me or others to accomplish something. And it’s God’s actions that make all the pieces fall in place, with my efforts and those of the people around me. If it is God’s will, it will work out.

If something doesn’t happen that I think should, I’m coming to understand that there are two plausible causes. The first of these is that my desires are not, in fact, aligned with God. What I want is not inspired or willed by God. This feels like an effort of discernment. Am I really hearing what God wants?

But let’s say that my intentions are fully aligned and enabled by God, who dwells within. If after my will is consistent, and still things aren’t going my way, then I think the problems come from the work, or the method to accomplish the thing.

I have long wanted to work with people on the edge; I’ve been drawn to those with no voice, and the discarded. I have the will, that I believe is God-inspired. I’ve pursued volunteer opportunities or jobs that would accomplish that. They haven’t worked out. Does that mean the intent is bad? I don’t think so. I think it means I’m still in conversation with God regarding exactly how that is to be accomplished. 

This morning, I’m thinking about those places where I believe my will or interest to do God’s work seems to be thwarted by my inability to actually accomplish the work, as I think it needs to be done. Perhaps that says more about me being mis-aligned with God’s plan for my work, than for God’s silence in helping me get my way. Maybe the volunteer opportunities or jobs to help the marginalized aren’t readily apparent because God has handed me a marginalized sick person who needs care – in my house. The intention is the same. 

The way God’s will is done ultimately is God’s to inspire and accomplish. If it is God’s will, I will be able to both desire the work -what God wants, and be able to accomplish it – how it gets done. If I’m not seeing the results I think I should, I’m either not aligned with God’s what, or God’s how

No comments:

Post a Comment