Sunday, September 15, 2019

Sep 15 2019 Acts 5:34-42

If this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them

A Pharisee is talking to the other Pharisees about Paul and his companions who’ve been captured. He’s arguing that they should leave Paul alone, because many prophets have come, professed to be speaking of God, and then disappeared. He’s arguing that if these men, Paul and his companions, are truly of God, they cannot be overthrown.

After this, it says the people were convinced, so they brought them in, and had them flogged. Hmm. While the details aren’t provided in Scripture, it’s well-believed that he was martyred for his faith, possibly beheaded at the order of Nero. Before that, he was arrested, imprisoned, and spent the last two years of his life in house arrest. So a cursory look at Paul’s life and death would indicate that he was, in fact, overthrown – at least as we understand the worst humans can do to each other. He along with thousands other Christians were killed.

On the surface, this looks like they were overthrown. But were they? Yes, their bodies were destroyed, but here we are, thousands of years later, reading their stories. If it was all bunk, wouldn’t it have perished like all of the other theories and beliefs that have proven untrue?

I’m not suggesting that just because something persists, it must be true. But I do think there is some truth and comfort in the idea that the true and right things remain. And that the things of God happen and remain.

In my life, I’ve had many quirks and turns. Some were clearly human-driven. But many, I believe were of God. I’ve taken jobs that are both smaller in scope and pay, for all of the absolutely right reasons. People have crossed my path, and I firmly believe it’s a God-thing. In hindsight, it’s easy to ascribe to God the things in my life that have occurred, and have worked. It’s easy to say that the things that worked out were of God, even the hard things. 

This morning, I’m thinking about my current situation. About how I’ve relocated to a new town, sold most of our belongings, live in an apartment, and now have a very sick loved one in my home. Deep down, I believe it’s a God thing. But day-to-day, it’s stinky.

If I believe it is of God, that my world and my circumstances are as they’re supposed to be, the tricky part is having any comfort in knowing what’s coming next. If this is all of God, I guess I need to presume tomorrow is of God too. And next month, or next year. Things I do of human origin will fail. Things of God will not. I believe that. All I can do now is to continually remember that, trust in that, and await what God’s got planned next. And stay out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment