Monday, September 9, 2019

Sep 9 2019 2 Corinthians: 1-5 Constance and her Companions

He comforts us when we are in trouble, so that we can share that same comfort with others in trouble.

In 1878, a plague of Yellow Fever swept Memphis, TN. That alone is enough to make me pause. That’s not that long ago, and we had plagues! Yellow Fever is transmitted by mosquito, but people didn’t know it then. Memphis had plenty of mosquitos, and at its worst, the plague claimed 200 people a day in the City, or an estimated 5,000 people in total. Considering the population of Memphis was approximately 40,000, Yellow Fever claimed almost 13% of the population. That’s a plague!

The wealthy fled Memphis, and those who could not leave were swept up in its destruction. A group of Roman Catholic and Anglican nuns chose to stay, despite seeing the carnage. They remained, and organized relief work, to care for the sick, the dying and the orphans. While she was caring for others, the plague took the life of Constance and several others who chose to stay.

We don’t have plagues in this country like that anymore. I want to believe that I’d be one who’d go to help. And yet, I’ve got plenty of care to offer in my world now, without running headlong into a plague-ridden city.

It sounds to me like an easier choice right now, to care for those who are sick and dying and orphaned – somewhere else. But in my home now, I have someone who is sick and was orphaned, and it’s not at all easy, and it doesn’t feel inspired. Of course I know better. To care for the sick or dying or vulnerable or orphaned is God’s work, regardless the field.

Most all of us do that – care for others in need. Whether it’s children, parents, people on a mission trip, students, we care and we act and we love. 

This morning, I’m thinking about Constance and her Companions, and about how their selfless love seems so beyond me, and yet upon reflection, isn’t. Yes, I don’t have a plague-ridden city. But we all have opportunities to show that same steadfast love and commitment to those in need.

I am grateful that we have models like Constance and her Companions. When I started this morning, I was grateful because they held out a model of seemingly unattainable selflessness and sacrifice. But after reflection, I’m more grateful because they make me realize that all of our selflessness and sacrifice for the needs of others is the holy work of God we are all called to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment