Thursday, September 26, 2019

Sep 26 2019 Matthew 6:1-18

They have received their reward.

This comes from a series of warnings Jesus issues regarding the nature of our acts for God, and whether we do them in public, for others to see, or just for ourselves and God. When you fast, don’t look put out and hungry. Don’t tell everyone you’re fasting. When you give alms, or take care of the poor, don’t toot your own horn. When you pray, don’t do it loud and visibly so others can see you. If you do these things in public to be noticed, Jesus says, we will get what we seek; we will be rewarded by public comments or notoriety. If you do these things in private, God will see all, and you will be rewarded by God.

What I’m taking from this is that when it comes to being ‘religious’, we can get the rewards we seek. But if we aim low, we’ll get just that. This speaks to me of personal motive, or what in the church we sometimes call personal piety. What are the things I do, and more importantly, why do I do them? If I’m doing it to look religious, that’s what I’ll get out of it – I’ll look religious. And perhaps nothing more.

This is the Gospel reading that is read, ironically, at the Ash Wednesday service, a service where we put ashes on our head in the shape of a cross, and go out into the world. When I’ve had the honor of reading it at Ash Wednesday, I always wonder if the ash-bearing people leaving the building are doing so just to get noticed, to show others of their devoutness. If this passage is true, they’ll receive just that as a reward. They will be noticed. Maybe nothing more. Maybe that’s the reading precisely because we’re all heading in to Lent, where many fast and pray more. The Gospel warning is that we should do these things for the right reasons – for our connection to God, not simply to be noticed.

In my own life, there are probably things I do, where my motives warrant Jesus’ warning. If I do things in public for the sake of others seeing, that will happen. Sometimes visibility is intentional, and warranted. I marched in the Portland Pride Parade, along with thousands of my friends. Most everyone sported unique and creative outfits and signs, screaming to be noticed for their individuality. I wore clergy garb and a full length black robe. In some settings, say an English cathedral, I would have fit right in. But at the Pride Parade, I stuck out as incredibly unique, in my traditional religious garb. I did it to be noticed. But not because I wanted notoriety. I did it because I genuinely wanted the other marchers and spectators to know that my branch of the Jesus movement was with them. 

This morning, I’m thinking about the very fine line between doing religious things for God’s will versus doing things for my will. Today, I want to watch what I do, and check my motives. Maybe God can be brought in to my more public expressions. Or maybe God never was in them. But I want to think about my own personal ‘why’s’, and either invite God in, or ditch those things all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment