Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Jun 2 2021 Day 111 Nehemiah 8:1–10:39


And Ezra said: You are the LORD, you alone

And so begins Ezra’s lengthy recount of God and God’s goodness. God alone made the heavens, the earth, and all that is therein. God called Abram, and created more descendants than stars in the sky. God brought the people out of Israel. And yet the people rebelled. Then God allowed bad things to happen to the people. The people repented, and God saved them again. And yet the people rebelled. Then God allowed bad things to happen to the people and the people repented. God saved them again. And again. And again.

It’s a lengthy recount of the hot and cold relationship the people have with God. And still God saves.

Where have I seen patterns of God’s faithfulness in my life? I haven’t had the tumultuous relationship the people of Israel seem to have had with God. At one point, I met with my parish priest and explained that my relationship with God was more like an old married couple, that takes the other for granted but knows they’re rock-solid. Sometimes a little underwhelming even. It was after that conversation God shook things up and I felt called to ordained ministry. God’s got quite a sense of humor and timing.

But where I don’t have the turmoil, I do see patterns. At times when I could have given up on God, God has persisted, and graced me with faith. When my son was struggling through high school and dropped out, I wasn’t angry at God. I prayed, and genuinely awaited some clarity (albeit with plenty of anxiety and motherly worry). Now, that boy is finishing law school. When my mom and then dad died, I turned to my faith community. When my loved one started their descent into this insidious brain disease, I didn’t blame God. There has been plenty of fist shaking at God, but that indicates a strong relationship, I think. We don’t argue with people who don’t matter.

So my history of God’s faithfulness shows me a constant gift of faith, especially when it’s most needed and least likely.

This morning, I’m thinking about God’s constancy in my life to give me faith. Where has God’s faithfulness appeared in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment