Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Jun 29 2021 Day 132 Psalms 46:1–49:20


Mortals cannot abide in their pomp; they are like the animals that perish.



Abide is an interesting and underused word. According to Webster, it means to stay in one place. Pomp is a word we know more, as we see it around and strive to have it ourselves (even if we don’t admit it to anyone). Some other words that have similar meaning to pomp include vainglory, or splendor. We don’t mean to be vain, but we do try for glory, even if it’s in our exaggerated humility.

In any case, this little sentence cuts to the heart of this folly. We cannot rest or remain in that pomp. This psalm goes on to say that even the richest man leaves his wealth to someone else when he dies. It’s transitory – all of it.

So why do we strive for that glory, or that pomp? What are we trying to prove, and to whom?

Perhaps it’s because it’s hard to hear God’s affirmations on earth. I know I am loved, and I know I am enough. And sometimes I forget, and need fellow mortal sojourners to remind me. That drives me on to do something note-worthy. I don’t do this for God’s benefit, but to feed my sometimes fragile constitution. A few social media “likes”, and clearly I’m loved. When I pull up to my home, and it’s tidy, and the flowers are beautiful, clearly I’m an asset to the neighborhood.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that my motives are wholly impure. But neither are they wholly pure. I cannot abide in this transitory goodness, because it wears off. I need to do it again, or improve the yard, or be a better (fill in the blank). It’s an unending cycle of striving for temporary splendor, even if it’s splendor in my head. There’s no rest, because the rewards don’t last.

I can only abide and rest in God’s pomp, not mine. God’s love and acceptance is unending, so I can stop striving, stop trying to prove something.

This morning, I’m thinking about seeking God’s splendor and abiding in that. Only then, can I truly rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment