Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Day 308 Romans 1:1–3:20



What then? Are we any better off? No, not at all



Paul is talking to people in Rome, both Jews and Gentiles. I love his opening salutation in most of his letters, “Grace to you, and Peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ”. While we’ve grown accustomed to this two part greeting, it was probably surprising and possibly scandalous in Paul’s time. Grace to you was somewhat of a greeting to Gentiles. And Peace from God, aka Shalom, was a well known greeting to the Jews. To put them together, and add the bit about our Lord Jesus Christ brings together two groups that had previously been uncombined, and cements them with the Lord Jesus Christ. Brilliant.

Paul goes through a host of comparisons and activities, circumcision, uncircumcised, people of the Law, people outside the Law. He sets out all of these comparisons and then basically says none of it matters. We should not judge based on these divisions because people who allegedly are of God can be sinners, just like those who weren’t. And people who are uncircumcised can be more righteous than the circumcised.

Paul then challenges those who think they’re better off, that they’re better believers, or better rule-followers that No – we are not better off.

This morning, I’m thinking about whether I consider myself better because of my faith. In this respect it isn’t the thought that counts, or even the intent of my belief. It’s whether I walk the walk. Whether I am actually loving and compassionate and merciful and kind. Going to church, praying daily, getting ordained – none of that makes me inherently better or more holy. I’d hope that some of it makes me more likely to remember to behave better and to have more faith. But if my practices and words don’t result in better actions, it is for naught.

Today, I want to try to live a holy, God-filled life, regardless of whether I’m circumcised or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment