Thursday, March 3, 2022

Mar 3 2022 Day 303 Acts 15:22–17:34



About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.



Paul and Silas were imprisoned, I believe in Philippi. A girl slave had the power of divination, and her owners used that fortune telling power to make money. It appears she was pestering Paul and Silas, proclaiming repeatedly that “These men are slaves of the most High God, who proclaim to you a way of salvation.” While I’m not sure the problem with her message, Paul and Silas ordered the spirit to come out of her. When her owners figured out what had happened, and that they’d no longer be able to make money off the girl, they dragged Paul and Silas to the magistrates and had them imprisoned. While imprisoned, an earthquake shook the prison and loosed their chains. In the morning, they were released.

This morning, I’m thinking about how they sang songs and prayed to God, despite their imprisonment and flogging. They were of course aware of their plight – their current captivity and injuries, as well as their unknown future. And yet they sang. I want to be like Paul and Silas.

This immediately reminded me of a song by Sara Groves, When the Saints (https://youtu.be/xc6X_ZBpqQs). Please give it a listen.   

This is a short reflection. I have a headache. Tuesday night, we were involved in a 7 car pile-up on the freeway. Our car was totaled, as a pickup truck plowed into our car. After several hours stuck in the fast lane of the freeway, everyone walked away. Cars were damaged, but the people all were unscathed. I have a mild concussion, but otherwise, extremely grateful and just fine. I don’t share to elicit sympathy or shock, but just to explain why I’m letting Sara Groves write my reflection this morning!

And when the saints go marching in, I want to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment