Saturday, February 13, 2021

Feb 13 2021 Day 19 Exodus 12:31–15:21



Israel saw the great work the Lord did


Moses has led the Israelites through the Red Sea on dry land, only to have Pharaoh and his armies ‘hurled into the sea’. The accompanying reflection today is from Teresa of Avila, and asks if I have seen the great works of the Lord today, and how did I respond?

We have had a snow storm in the Portland area. They don’t happen often, but with the temperatures hovering around freezing, when we do, it’s an icy mess. There is about an inch of ice on windshields, and on the ground, under the light dusting of snow. In this mess, my husband and I walked to the grocery store, with my handy little grocery trolly.

We went to a nice grocery store with beautiful produce, and lots of unique sauces and cheeses. It was a delight. Then we packed the little trolly, and walked back home.

I don’t think I stopped on the walk to marvel at the beauty of God’s great works. But in hindsight, God’s handiwork was all around. The shimmery ice covered branches, the crunch of the snow, the perfectly balanced trolly that rolled like a dream, and the beautiful items at the store.

This morning, I’m thinking about how I don’t always stop to wonder at God’s works, but I am pretty good at recognizing it after the fact. I wonder how much more wonder-full my days would be if I could see God’s handiwork as I was walking through my day.

To be sure, I enjoyed the walk. But I didn’t have that awe-struck sense of God’s majesty as I was walking. If I cannot always be fully aware in the moment, the next best thing is to build in times in my day, or at least at the end of the day, when I can stop and reflect. Whenever I do that, without fail, I am able to find something to be grateful for, or find awe filled. Today, I’m going to see if I can schedule in some regular time for reflection during my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment