Saturday, February 20, 2021

Feb 20 2021 Day 23  Exodus 25:1–27:21



And have them make me a sanctuary, so that I may dwell among them.


This morning’s readings are chapters of detailed instructions the Lord gave Moses about the arc of the covenant, its overlaid gold, rings, clasps, fine linen curtains. Lots and lots of detail.

I have a friend who used to outline books by counting the paragraphs of the book, and basically making something that looked like a timeline, with each tick the mark of a new paragraph. Then below the tick marks, she’d note what that paragraph was about. Looking at this kind of outline, I could learn both what the overall story line is, as well as the relative importance of various parts of the story as indicated by the amount of text devoted to that part of the story. If I were to do that with this morning’s readings, there’s a little bit about God telling Moses to make a sanctuary, and a whole lot about the details of that sanctuary. A whole lot.

Why is that? Given that this was an oral tradition, was this level of detail an attempt to commit to permanent record the details of this important sanctuary? Or was this description the result of years of oral history finally committed to paper, and the story had changed and elaborated over time and telling, like a children’s game of telephone?

Either way, either the original arc or the oral tradition of the arc that morphed over time was indeed spectacular. No expense spared, no detail too small. In the understanding Israel, this was where God was to reside and be in their presence.

Our understanding has further morphed; God is present everywhere all the time. But we still like to have our sanctuaries, or the place where we are reminded of God’s presence. At their best, these places can be churches, temples or mosques. There’s a sense of God’s presence in places where people have prayed, and where there is great attention to detail, similar to the arc.

My tradition wears fancy historical vestments, and places of worship are decorated with stained glass, icons, crosses. To other faithful people, this may seem like too much. But there’s a reason, for me, that this helps create a space where God’s presence is more imminent. I was in the church and a homeless man came in, scruffy and unkempt. It was Sunday afternoon, and the smell of incense lingered. I sat with him and he had tears in his eyes. After a while, he finally said that he loved coming in churches. The vestments, the beauty, the incense, it was as close to heaven as he’d ever been.

I worship in that kind of setting because for a moment, it’s heaven to me.

I have also tried to create a sanctuary in my home, for the more mundane daily experiences and reminders of God. Currently, I have a specific chair where I read scripture and write. I have a shelf in my bedroom that’s got several things to help focus me – a candle, a small statue, an icon.

I like to have physical spaces that support my intent to remember God’s presence. Today, I’m thinking about one thing I might do to enhance the sanctuaries where I am reminded of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment