Sunday, February 14, 2021

Feb 14 2021 Day 20 Exodus 15:22–18:27



Now listen to me. I will give you counsel.



Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law has come to meet Moses after many years apart. Moses tells him everything that’s been happening, starting with the plagues, the Red Sea, the manna and the 40 years of desert wandering. He explains that men come to him with problems, and Moses basically acts as the adjudicator for everyone. Jethro tells him that Moses should take the people’s cases before God, while also appointing men to serve as officers over large groups. The appointed should fear God, be trustworthy, and hate dishonest gain. These men will handle smaller disputes, and bear that burden with Moses, along with God’s help.

The accompanying reflection is from Eugene Peterson, author of “The Message”, a very readable version of the Bible. In the reflection, Peterson recalls a relationship he had with a peer where they prayed together twice a week, and explored their faith together. Years later, he realized that there’s a name for that kind of relationship – spiritual director. My first spiritual director offered language that felt more accessible and usable to me – spiritual companion.

Who have been my spiritual companions, officially and informally? Do they know it? There were a couple of women in my church growing up who were very devout and always at church, praying. They seemed calm, and peaceful, and I remember thinking I wanted some of that. I didn’t learn much directly from them, but they did provide a model of something I wanted.

I have several clergy friends who have served as spiritual companions throughout the years. I believe I’ve shared with them what they mean, although I’m unsure. I think I’ll be a little more explicit about showing my appreciation and clear in my explanation for that appreciation for these dear people.

I’ve had friends through the years, one in particular, who’s offered great counsel. Whether it’s interpreting dreams, or offering advice and then reminding me of it years later, or calling BS when she sees it in my world, she’s always there. She has been my greatest companion – spiritually and in other ways. When I struggle with parenting my very sick loved one, she’s the first to point out how my personality might make things tougher, and also quick to point out that I’m married to a guy who can handle stuff I can’t. Between the two of them, my husband, and my companion, I’m set. If she didn’t know what she means to me, she does now.

My husband is not particularly religious. I’ve described him as ‘agnostic on a good day’. But he serves as an incredible spiritual companion too. He believes in me, and although he doesn’t understand my ‘why’, he wouldn’t dare refute it. It’s true for me, and that’s good enough for him. His support and conversation has served as a faithful companion all these years.

This morning, I’m thinking about the ways I can show gratitude for the people who’ve helped form me spiritually. I’m also thinking about ways that I might serve as a spiritual companion for others.

2 comments:

  1. You have been an inspiration to me, as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been an inspiration to me, as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete