Sunday, January 12, 2020

Jan 12 2020 1 Peter 4: 1

Since Jesus went through everything you’re going through and more, learn to think like him. (The Message)


This morning’s pre-trip reflection is focused on the challenges that will certainly arise, and how to respond to them. It focuses on analogies in Peter and Timothy that relate to being a soldier. Be a good soldier for Christ, and arm yourself with a mindset for suffering. Personally, I tend to bristle with the soldier and war analogies. Maybe that’s because I’m the mom of an army soldier, but for whatever reason, soldiering isn’t something that resonates.

Thank God for different translations of Scripture. Eugene Peterson’s The Message is definitely more contemporary language, and sometimes misses the mark. But today, it resonates.

Where the New King James Version talks about Christ suffering in body, and arming myself, The Message breaks this down to remind me that Jesus went through everything I have, so I should think like Jesus. Yes!

When you read through Jesus’ life, it’s fascinating how he really did go through all the things we think are so unique to us. Betrayal? Yes. Sick friends? Yes. Death? Yes. Joy? Yes. Travelling to foreign places? Yes. And he did all this in sandals, in the desert, without AC, or pillows. And with ne’er a complaint. Instead, Jesus was grateful, praising God, helping his neighbor. Love God. Love your Neighbor.

This morning, I’m thinking about how to have a mindset like Jesus in all things, both big and small. How much better would my internal outlook be, as well as my outward response, if I could first remember to Love God, and Love my Neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment