Monday, January 13, 2020

Jan 13 2020 Mark 10: 23-27

And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?” But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”

I could start with ‘this morning’s reflection’, but it’s nearly 5:30pm. It’s been a busy few weeks, and apparently I needed sleep. Ten and a half hours of it. So this morning, whizzed by in a miraculous 30 minute bed-to-bus sprint. No time for morning musings today. Apparently, I needed the sleep.

So this evening’s reflection is focused on the power of prayer, and how we frequently make God much smaller than God really is, with what we think God can and cannot do. Given the scale and scope of God and all of what God is, I’m quite sure none of us can fathom the reaches of God’s God-ness. Just when I think I know anything, I’m quickly reminded I don’t. When I think I have a sense of my role in this world, I’m quickly reminded I don’t. When I think I understand something, I’m quickly reminded I don’t.

It’s quite humbling, actually to think about all that I don’t know, and how absurd, or naïve, or precious we look from God’s perspective.

The reading from Mark comes immediately after Jesus has explained to the wealthy man that in order to be saved, he should sell all his possessions. This comes after he’s explained that he’s kept all the Laws, thinking he’s done what he was supposed to. Jesus responds with this challenge to sell all his belongings and give the proceeds to the poor. We don’t really know what the man does in response to this, because all we hear is that he went away, sorrowful.

But we do know what those precious or naïve or absurd disciples do. They follow up with a little bit of bemoaning. But Jesus, we’ve left our families, our livelihoods. Who can be saved, if not this man who’s followed the Law. Jesus responds that with God, anything is possible, but for men, it’s impossible.

It’s not about what we do, or don’t do. It’s not about the laws we keep, the commandments we keep, tithing, attending church, swearing. It’s not about us at all. It’s about God, and God’s unmerited, radical grace.

Today, I’m thinking about a prayer written by Archbishop Desmond Tutu that speaks to the fact that it’s not what we do, or don’t do. It’s true for me. It’s true for my sick loved one. It’s true for the children in the orphanages in Guatemala. It’s pretty amazing, really.

God created you because God loved you. You do not therefore need to do anything to earn or deserve God’s love. You do not need to impress God so that God will love you. God already loves you and God will love you for ever and ever.

There is nothing you can do that will make God love you less. There is nothing you can do to make God love you more. God’s love for you is infinite, perfect and eternal. 
                                                               ~Desmond Tutu

No comments:

Post a Comment