Thursday, January 30, 2020

Jan 30 2020 John 5: 30-47

I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.

The writer of John is trying to explain how Jesus was explaining things. And while the writer of John generally does not help me understand things, I can sometimes pull out gems that do make sense, and that I can apply. Luckily, today’s reading contains one of those gems.

Jesus is explaining that he comes from God, and that his audience didn’t even believe Moses, who pointed towards Jesus’ arrival. Given the author’s disdain – even antisemitism – I’m not sure it’s fair to say that Moses knew Jesus was the coming attraction. I’m pretty sure modern day Jews, God-loving, children of Abraham, would not agree. But I digress.

Before all of this, Jesus says simply that he can do nothing on his own. Hmm. If Jesus is one complete person of the Trinity, I’d think he could do things on his own. Jesus continues that he judges justly, because he seeks to do not his own will but the will of God. Hmm.

So if Jesus – God incarnate – cannot do things on his own, and judges justly by seeking the will of God, I’m pretty sure there’s something in there for me.

I cannot do anything on my own. Every breath, move, action, comes from God. Every thing I see, and taste – even the fact that I can see and taste, comes from God. In fact, I can do nothing on my own. Nothing. The positive side of that is that I am never left on my own. God is present in every breath, move and action. God is present in everything I see and taste. I’m reminded of the Police song, “Every move you make”, in a good way.

Jesus continues that he judges rightly, because he does God’s will, not his own. Even Jesus, God incarnate, needs to put God’s will before his own. Jesus was, after all, fully human. Being fully human means Jesus had fully human foibles, and thoughts. But by keeping God’s will in the forefront, he judged justly. That was likely easier for Jesus than me, since Jesus was also fully divine.

This morning, I’m thinking about how I might keep God’s will at the center of my life, in everything I see and taste, everything I think and do. When I do that, I think I can get closer to saying what Jesus said, that my decisions are just, because I do God’s will, not my own.

One thing that I can do today, is be grateful that the practice of Morning Prayer includes praying the Lord’s Prayer, daily. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Your will. Not mine. Maybe today, that’s my mantra with every breath. Thy will be done. Thy will be done. Thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment