Thursday, January 16, 2020

Jan 16 2020 1 John 1: 5-7

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.


Walking in the light. I love this image. I have a balance problem, so walking in the darkness is actually quite challenging. I will always choose to walk in the light. This morning’s pre-trip reflection focuses on the fellowship aspect of walking in the light. We cannot claim to be walking in Jesus’ light if we stumble around in the darkness by ourselves. When we are struggling with something personally, the best thing to do is to share it, and in community, walk in the light.

Due in part to challenges with my sick loved one, and in part to the general pace of life, I have gotten much, much better at sharing my darkness. I cannot handle the dark bits by myself; I get in a funk and hold quite a pity party. But just sharing my woes makes them better, or makes me feel better about them. Or at least makes me realize that I’m not alone.

We were made to be in community. None of us has the skills or time to be entirely self-sufficient. It makes perfect sense that we need to be in community, to pray together, break bread together, work together, rejoice together, and lament together. It’s when I think those things are better done alone that I get in trouble.

This morning, I’m thinking about the great joys of being in community. That’s not to say community is always perfect. I have the joy of working in an environment that is God-infused. I need to remember that despite workplace imperfections, I have a tribe of people with whom I can pray, any time at work.

I am looking forward to another environment and tribe with whom I can pray, as I prepare to head to Guatemala Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment