Sunday, January 5, 2020

Jan 5 2020 2 Corinthians 2: 14

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads in every place the fragrance that comes from knowing him.

This morning’s reflection focuses on going to places where there may be darkness and what we can do about it. Whenever there is a piece of scripture that begins with a preposition, like “but”, it seems to me to be important to know what precedes it. In this case, Paul is lamenting that he was initially excited to arrive in Troas, but was discouraged because he did not find his friend Titus there. So he moved on to Macedonia.

Christ leads us in triumphal procession, all right. But sometimes the route is a little circuitous. We think we’re heading to Troas, but then continue on to Macedonia. In my own world, I think I know how things are going to unfold in the next couple years, and all of a sudden, everything changes. Wait, I thought we were going that way, and now we’re going somewhere else!

My challenge is to let Christ lead, and have faith that the destination will be the right one, even if we start out heading one direction and then head another. As long as I follow Christ, I’m good. But sometimes I get attached to my understanding of the destination, and I’m resistant to let it go. Apparently I’m just along for the ride, and God doesn’t really need my help in navigating.

The other thing I take from this reading is that as long as I’m following Christ, I’m like a little sachet, distributing good God fragrance where I go. The nice thing about sachet packets is they don’t work very hard. They sit in your grandmother’s drawer, and smell like lavender. They don’t actively do anything.

By following Christ – and by letting Christ actually lead without our ‘help’ – we are infused with the good fragrance of God. It is then diffused out of our very being, as we continue on our merry path.

Today, I’m thinking about how to let God lead wherever, and however, and why ever, without having to know the reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment