Friday, July 2, 2021

Jul 2 2021 Day 135 Psalms 57:1–59:17



For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride.

Maybe I’m cherry picking, but I like the parts where God’s retribution isn’t so much about death and destruction, but rather giving us what we’ve asked for. This is a perfect example. Pride is such an insidious sin, and probably one of my more frequent sins.

The risks that come with pride are several fold. First, we take pride or deep joy from some condition that is fleeting. I’m proud of my beautiful community. Until COVID and protests made Portland look more like a dump. I’m proud of my great job. Until I don’t have it. I’m proud of my plans. Until they’re dashed. I have a friend who suggested that regardless of our feelings or expressions, we should add the words “for now” at the end. I’m so excited about my job, for now. I’m proud of my kids, for now. Alternatively, I’m so worried about my loved one for now. For now is a great way of remembering that the good – as well as the bad – are temporary.

The other problem with pride is that we take credit for something that isn’t ours. I’m proud of my kids. Perhaps I can take credit for not screwing them up more than I did, but their successes and accomplishments are probably more attributable to God and them. I’m proud of my faith. But that comes from God. I’m proud when my days turn out like I intended. But what about when my days don’t turn out like that?

I’m reminded of Jesus explaining that when people pray loudly so people can hear them, they’ve gotten their reward – whoo hoo! People heard them praying loudly.

Pride is something that I absolutely can see as a trap. When we assume a prideful attitude about ourselves, or our loved ones, or our accomplishments, or our possessions, perhaps we’re setting our sights too low. If I get trapped in the things I’m proud about today, what if God has a better plan for tomorrow, but I’m too busy holding tight to today’s pride? Let it go.

This morning, I’m thinking about how to shed pride, and instead replace it with contentment, and how to relish my ‘for now’ moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment