Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Jul 27 2021 Day 152 Psalms 127:1–130:8



Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.

Wow. I guess I’ve never seen this connection between house and God so directly, or maybe I’m just feeling it more directly now. I believe we sold our house yesterday, and we will be officially purchasing a home in Pittsburgh tomorrow. I’m very attuned to the word ‘house’.

I definitely believe God needs to be in the equation. I’m increasingly convinced God is in this place, as long as I invite God in this place. So the new twist for me is the part about building the house. We have some significant repair and remodeling to do when we arrive. I’m wondering about how to invite God into the significant remodel projects ahead. It’s interesting that a little research rendered a lot of nothing.

I don’t want to donate to build God’s house. I don’t want advice on how to build a Christian household. I’m interested in ways to get God in the business of demolition, removing mold, picking out new fixtures and cabinets, pulling up stinky carpet. Obviously it involves prayer and intentionality. I’ve got some friends whose beautiful prayer writing makes me swoon. Maybe I get them to write me a few prayers for my hip pocket.

Maybe I assure that choices I make are furthering God’s purposes, although I’m not sure where the nexus is with stinky carpet removal. Maybe I arrange for a house blessing, or reinstall the Mezuzah I received as a gift. Maybe I carve out a little space as my dedicated prayer corner. Other thoughts?

This morning, I’m thinking about all the wonderful ways I can invite God into building or rebuilding this house I’m purchasing, and grateful about the opportunity to bring God’s presence and assistance in to that space. How do you bring God into your house projects or house space?

No comments:

Post a Comment