Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Jan 1 2019 Gen 17:15 The Feast of the Holy Name






Today, the church celebrates the Holy Name of Jesus, because 8 days after his birth, he was taken to the Temple and named Jesus.

The readings for today relate to this theme of the name, and some of these things we read daily:
Psalm 103: And all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Gen 17: No longer shall your name be Abram. And Sarai will be called Sarah
John 15: If you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.

And some things we read daily or weekly also reference names:
Canticle 13: Glory to you for the radiance of your holy Name.
Lord’s Prayer: Hallowed be thy name
Prayer of St. Chrysostom: When two or three are gathered together in his name, you will be in the midst of them.

What’s in a name? After all, a rose by any other name. . .

But we’re figuring out now that names matter. When I was growing up, kids taunted other kids, and the response was “sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me”. Now we know that’s not true. Names can hurt. It’s bullying and can hurt more than sticks and stones.

So names matter. The names we use for ourselves absolutely frame how we see ourselves. The same is true for others in our world. It’s a narrative we tell ourselves about ourselves and about others, all wrapped up on one word, one name.

When my youngest daughter joined our family, she referred to my husband as apple-head. Maybe because it was because he had little hair, even then. But it was a term of endearment. She referred to him as that again earlier this week, because as she said it’s a sweet name.

I must admit that I don’t have strong attachment to the name Jesus. I like the name Sebastian, or Grace. So I’ve struggled with the idea that the Holy Name is such a thing. But upon reflection, I am grateful, and I owe my life to the fact that God was made man, and had a name, any name. All that is within me, bless his Holy Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment