Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Jan 23 2019 Ephesians 5:1-14


For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of the light.

I read this passage from Ephesians, and immediately a hymn popped into mind, “I want to walk as a child of the light”. That song has always given me goosebumps, probably because of the emotional arrangement, with suspensions and crescendos, and resolutions. I don’t have any music theory knowledge, so I apologize if those terms are wrong, but if you know hymn, you know what I’m talking about. If you don’t, you might check one out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ltLVdJTHjs)

What strikes me about this Ephesians passage is what Paul is not saying. He is not saying that through the Lord, we will live in the light. He is saying that through the Lord, we are the light.

I like that distinction; living in Christ doesn’t just put us in a different space with no darkness. It transforms us to that light. This feels like more of a responsibility than just being lit up. We become the very light that is needed in the world. As that light, we can be that light for others. We must be that light for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment