Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Jan 16 2019 Mark 1: 29-45


In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.
We continue Mark’s whirlwind tale of Jesus’ early days.  After leaving the temple and surprising everyone with his authoritative teaching, he heals Simon’s mother-in-law. As a result, he’s inundated with the whole city at the doorstep, clamoring for healing. It’s exhausting just reading about all the healing and revealing Jesus is doing in Mark’s retelling. And it’s no wonder that his next action is to get up while very dark, go to a deserted place, and pray.
When I look at my personal introvert/extrovert tendencies, I’m either a high-functioning introvert, or a very mediocre extrovert. I truly enjoy being around people, loving them, hearing them, sharing with them.  But not tons of them. On the flip side, I like alone time, but I frequently get fidgety, because I’m not sure what to do with myself and my thoughts.

Maybe as God incarnate, Jesus transcends introvert/extrovert labeling. He was great with intimate gatherings and large crowds alike. And he knew when he needed to retreat, even if by cover of darkness. Maybe we’d be better transcending those labels too, and rather just have enough self-awareness to be fully present in the gatherings, and know when to retreat. And to use our retreat time to its fullest. Pray, reflect, rest.  Then head back out to meet God’s people in all their messy people-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment