Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Jan 22 2019 Ephesians 4: 17-32



Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear.

I’ve heard it said that it takes seven positive comments to offset the impact from one negative. From our kids’ behaviors, to our partner’s foibles, it’s far too easy to unleash negative comments, even if they’re slight.

And it’s interesting to me that Paul is basically saying that anything that isn’t useful to building up is considered evil talk. I’m not normally a mean speaker, but I can be sarcastic, snotty and condescending. None of these build up the kingdom, and it’s probably safe to say none give grace to those who hear. What a good reminder that words matter. That anything other than words that build up are not helpful at best, and evil at worst.

I like the idea that good, building up words actually give grace to those who hear. Words speak new truths into the world, either for good or ill. With the simple act of good words, I will aim to create good truths, and give grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment