Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Jan 29 2019 Galatians 1: 18 – 2:10 Mark 6: 1-13



I was still unknown by sight to the churches..
Is this not the carpenter?

In both the first and second reading, we see how our human eyes and human understanding of what we see can be so wrong. In the first reading, Paul is going to areas where they’ve only heard of him and his conversion story. Paul was converted from the Christian-hating-and-killing Saul. Saul was holding the coats of people who stoned Stephen to death – Stephen credited to be the first deacon martyr.

We take it for granted that Paul was this great disciple, spreading Christ’s word throughout the region. Do we ever think about the fact that it was spread with the same zeal he had for persecution and killing? Of course he is a wonderful disciple. And of course it’s an extravagant example of God’s grace and mercy on a sinner. But sometimes I wonder if I accept Paul’s authority without really accepting Saul’s actions. And Saul didn’t do anything to undo his past wrongs. Scales fell from his eyes, he was given grace, and he became Paul, with the same zeal he’d previously had, but now turned to good.

If this were modern day, if our own personal Saul’s, had a personal conversion experience and started working for God’s grace, how long would it take me to believe? To trust? I think I know more. I think I can judge by what I have seen in the past. I’m skeptical to trust based on someone else’s internal experiences.

Same with Jesus returning to Nazareth. While he’s got wonderful teachings, the people see him as the carpenter. They cannot believe he’s anything other than what they see and have known in the past.

I have always been skeptical in my own life and world when someone professes a faith or has a conversion experience that is incongruous with their past, or is too convenient for their circumstances. And yet, I’m willing to take Paul’s word, and scoff at the people in Nazareth. Of course Paul is a great apostle! Of course Jesus is God incarnate! And if I’m willing to believe that, I need to strive to afford the same trust and grace and hope to the Saul’s of my day, whether that’s in a political arena, or personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment