Monday, January 21, 2019

Jan 21 2019 Ephesians 4:1-16

But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ.

Instead of being like children being tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine, we are to grow up. Grow up in every way into Christ. We are to do this by speaking truth in love.

I’m struck by this concept, speaking truth in love. Of late, when you hear the phrase, “speaking truth. . . “, it’s seems to be followed by “to power”. Speak truth to power. This would never be one of my go-to phrases, or sentiments. It sounds affrontive, combative. And while there are few arguments I shy away from, I’m not generally confrontive to power, at least not directly.

I understand sometimes power needs to change, to see the way things should be, to see how their exercise of power is harmful or unjust. And I guess I’ve always had much more success in affecting that change in power with a less confrontive truth-telling.
Which brings me to the idea of speaking truth in love. Maybe if we appeal to humanity’s deep-seated desire and knowledge that love is the way, speak truth in and to that love, we could move mountains. Influence through love, rather than confrontation.

Paul’s letter to Ephesians talks about all of the different gifts given – apostles, teachers, prophets, teachers. From each of these gifts, I think we should focus more on speaking truth in love, rather than to power. Even in this context, I think our presiding bishop Michael Curry is right. If it’s not about love, it’s not about God.

No comments:

Post a Comment