Saturday, January 5, 2019

Jan 5 2019 John 15:1-16



Abide in my love.

When I looked up the definition of ‘abide’, it’s another one of those words used in Scripture that isn’t replicated in the world. The definitions that aren’t noted as “archaic” are
- To accept or act in accordance with
- To be able to tolerate (as in cannot abide)
- To continue without fading (like a memory)
I don’t believe this is what is meant here. What Jesus is talking about is the archaic definition – to reside or dwell. This becomes more apparent with the rest of the portion of the reading:

If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

This isn’t speaking about tolerance or strict adherence to something. How could it, when we’re talking about love?

But what about keeping commandments? That sounds a little like rule following, or strict adherence. But not if you think about what Jesus’ commandments were. Love God. Love your neighbor.

So what this is saying is if you love God, love your neighbor, you will dwell in God’s love and God’s love will dwell in you. And while this is almost a circular argument, it feels very comforting to me.

Rather than being circular mumbo jumbo, this seems to me like a very positive version of “build it and they will come”. Love God & Love your neighbor, even if you have to fake it because you don’t always feel it. Remember – Love isn’t a feeling, but rather an active empathetic verb. Once you Love God & Love your neighbor, God dwells in you.

With God dwelling in you, it’s much easier to Love your neighbor and Love God. It’s almost impossible to look past fellow humans and not see Christ, not serve Christ, not Love Christ in them. So you’re drawn to Love God & your neighbor even more, and you’ve got more peaceful abiding. It’s nice how it works like that.

Today, I strive to sense God's love abiding in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment