Thursday, May 6, 2021

Day 86 2 Kings 8:16–10:36



[Naaman], though a mighty warrior, suffered from leprosy.



This reading was another slog. Kings with unfamiliar names who did what was good in the sight of the Lord. More kings with unfamiliar but strangely similar to other unfamiliar names who did what was evil in the sight of the Lord. Once again, I’m grateful for the accompanying reflection, as the source reading was hard see as anything more than a litany of good and bad behaving kings. And lots of killing by both evil and good. The accompanying reflection is by John Wesley, and focuses on our partialness. Naaman was a good man, although he had leprosy. He was partially good, and partially broken. Just like all of us.

Wesley advocates that we need to always remember we are incomplete or partial, and our wholeness may come from others. We need to listen to advice and critique, and we need to be careful not to develop unintended pride because of what we think we know, or the because of the grace given to us. He writes, “Even to imagine that those who are not saved cannot teach you is a very great and serious mistake.” We can learn from anyone, everyone. And those other people could be precisely what I need to round out my partialness. Even if they aren’t ‘saved’, or if I don’t like them.

Today is my last day of employment with the Diocese. My paid and volunteer positions were both eliminated. Today, I need to remember that all of the people involved have something to teach me. All of these people help complete my partialness. I need to be willing to see and accept those contributions, even as I lick my wounds.

Today, I will work with my loved one to arrange a meeting with social security, so they can talk to the social security folks about how I’m stealing their money, how they should be allowed to manage it themselves, how their money shouldn’t have been reduced simply because they were given Medicare, and how their money should be increased because they are living in a tent, and shouldn’t have to have any of their money used for housing. Today, I need to remember that all people have something to teach me, to help complete my partialness. I need to be willing to see and accept those contributions, even as I scratch my head as to the thinking.

3 comments: