Sunday, May 9, 2021

May 9 2021 Day 89 2 Kings 18:1–21:26



Prayer

The reading of Kings continues with more good and evil kings, many of whom pray to their god, whether it be the God of Israel or other gods. The accompanying reflection focuses in on prayer. Eugene Peterson, the author reflects that in prayer, we are our most genuine – when we are able to remember that prayer is about God, not about us. Prayer is a time to simply be in God’s presence, and if lucky, to listen to God. I must admit that very rarely to I hear God, although I do sense God’s presence.

The problem with prayer is that it’s so easy for us to turn it around, and make it about us. We sometimes pray to God so that God notices how good we are, how wealthy we are, how miserable we are. Who doesn’t like to be noticed, or special? And when that happens, we need to refocus and remember that prayer is a time to focus on God, not for God to focus on us.

I’m definitely guilty of this. I pray that my dilemmas will be noticed and resolved. One of the challenges with this is that when I frame my prayer with my outlook of problem and solution, that leaves little room for God. God absolutely has the ability to reframe, renew and resurrect my tired old problems into something that’s not problematic at all. But if I come to my time of prayer certain of the ‘problem statement’, then if my perceived problem isn’t addressed as I’ve stated, it feels like God didn’t hear, didn’t respond, didn’t care.

If instead, I bring the truths of my life to God absent the oh-so-helpful-framing, perhaps I leave more room for God to provide the framing. I’m not talking about simply a glass half empty or full perspective. This isn’t about just rosy and unrealistic optimism. But I know that I don’t know as much as God. I know that I cannot see the fullness of my world as much as God sees.

For example, this past week, my loved one was picked up by the police and taken to the hospital. They are currently being held and next week we’ll have the opportunity to check in with their care team to find out what’s next. God knows this. I don’t need to describe the problem in my limited perspective, and more important, with my limited outlook of what’s best. Rather, in my prayer time, I’ll just hand it all over to God, the parts I. know and can understand and especially the parts I don’t see or understand. Instead of having to construct the story problem and await God’s correct answer, I’ll just lay out the facts, and let God do all of that.

Last week, I also unexpectedly concluded my employment with the Diocese. I could frame the ‘problem’ as I see it, and await God’s appropriate response. But that’s so limiting, because I’m sure I don’t see the whole story. Instead, I’ll trust that God has all the facts, and I’ll await God’s counsel or direction. Of course, that is not likely to be on MY timeline, so I’ll need to practice patience.

Today, I’ll offer up to God all of the truths of my life, and rest in the surety of God’s providence. That’s all I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment