Tuesday, May 18, 2021

May 18 2021 Day 97 2 Chronicles 1:1–5:1


“Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked for possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may rule my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you.”

God has asked Solomon what he seeks. Solomon has asked for wisdom. Just wisdom. God likes this request, and in response grants Solomon’s prayer, as well as granting him some extra riches and honor.

I like this for two reasons. First, I like the idea that Solomon is able to pray for precisely what God recognizes as what was in his heart, no more and no less. I sometimes fear that when I pray, I’m throwing in things that I ‘should’ pray for, or I omit things that I feel are too much. Just to pray what is in my heart would be good.

I also like simplicity of praying for wisdom. This is something I’ve always valued, more than smarts or wealth. To have wisdom, to be granted wisdom, is the gift that allows the proper use of all other gifts. When to be generous, when to be smart, when to speak up, and when to be silent. Or said a different way, any other gifts without commensurate wisdom is wasted, or at least has the risk of being misused.

This morning, I’m thinking about wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment