Saturday, May 8, 2021

May 8 2021 Day 88 2 Kings 14:1–17:41



They did wicked things, provoking the LORD to anger; 12 they served idols, of which the LORD had said to them, “You shall not do this.”

In addition to the difficult names of the kings in Judah and Israel, the prompts of some doing what was good in God’s sight and others doing what was evil, there’s something else that has peppered the readings from Kings; there is a great deal of idol worshipping. People putting up monuments and altars to other Gods. This is something that is so foreign to our lives, that it’s hard to imagine.

I have never seen someone put up an altar to a foreign god, or worship other Gods. Obviously it was a big problem back then, as it was one of God’s top ten commandments handed to Moses. Even when I first learned about commandments, that one struck me as barely relevant. Thou shalt have no other god but me. I remember thinking that if someone wasn’t going to believe in God, why would they opt for another one? Why is this even a thing to warn against?

But reading about all of the evil kings, countries and people worshipping other gods, it clearly was a big problem. This morning, I’m thinking about whether this is really an outdated irrelevant commandment or not.

Perhaps in the 21st century US, we don’t have that many literal altars and monuments being built to other gods, but perhaps we have an even greater problem if you think more figuratively. If we are commanded to not have no other god, the question is whether we have other things we worship, besides God. Of course I do.

I worship the god of productivity and usefulness. I didn’t think I did, but now that I’m facing a lack of productive useful tasks, I realize that I could easily fill my time with other tasks, to make my offering of usefulness to that god. I recall that at one point in my formation and studies, I was asked to shadow a very laid back priest, very intuitive, quiet, and calm. I told him that I worried that if I didn’t have anything to do in my internship, I’d feel like Linus, following the gang around without anything to do. He pointedly asked me what was wrong with that, that my presence was important, with or without tasks. The plight of the Marthas of the world.

I also worship the god of knowledge and control. I want to know what is happening in my future. I want to know what is happening with my loved one, who’s back in the hospital. This hospital does not allow any in-person visits due to the pandemic, and our loved one will certainly not want to talk with us soon. I want to know.

There are others who worship the gods of power, wealth, and prestige. Their altars are visible all around, both big and small.

So maybe we do need that commandment after all. Put no god before God. It turns out that God’s will, God’s kingdom actually bring down all of those other altars. With absolute faith in God’s way, I don’t need control or knowledge. With absolute faith in God’s gift of unconditional and unwarranted love, I don’t need to be productive or efficient. With absolute faith in God’s treasures, we don’t need earthly power, wealth or prestige.

Today, I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for the altars I’ve erected to false gods, and try to think about God’s antidote.

No comments:

Post a Comment