Sunday, May 23, 2021

May 23 2021 Day 102 2 Chronicles 21:1–24:27


Although the army of Aram had come with few men, the LORD delivered into their hand a very great army, because they had abandoned the LORD, the God of their ancestors. Thus they executed judgment on Joash.

More battles, more good and evil kings. It feels a little like watching a tennis match, back and forth, back and forth. But occasionally, there are anecdotal snippets of pithy statements. Aram headed into battle, a battle for which he was greatly outnumbered. Aram defeated Joash’s army because Joash had abandoned the Lord.

So if God can do all things, why is obedience required? What do we gain from obeying God’s law? God doesn’t really need me to pray, or be good. God knows all already, and can affect all things in the world, with or without my assistance. So why?

Maybe it’s for me, and not God. There’s a great quote from Kierkegaard that answers the prayer question. “Prayer does not change God, but it changes the one who prays”. God doesn’t need my prayers. But I do. In prayer, I am reminded of my connection with God, that I’m a beloved child of God, and of all of the wonderful things God has done in my life. I can be honest with God about the crappy things. Another quote I saw summed up what prayer does in my life. “It’s up to you alone to find beauty in the worst of days.” Prayer helps me find that beauty. It’s hard not to be reminded of the beauty around and in me, when I pray, even in the worst of days.

And about obedience… Again, God doesn’t need me to behave in any way in particular. God can manage all things without my hands and feet, despite the statement that we are God’s hands and feet in this world. And maybe my obedience and service is for my benefit. It’s in living out the commitments I’ve made to God that I feel like I’m at my best. Seeking and serving Christ in all people. Respecting the dignity of every human being. Spread the good news (even with words sometimes). Striving for justice and peace. When I do these things, I feel better. I feel more aligned with the God who loves me, and loves everyone around me.

With a faith that God can do all things, my prayer and obedience are, I think, more for my benefit than for God’s. I believe both give God joy, and that gives me joy.

This morning, I’m thinking about the joy I get from being obedient to a god who doesn’t need my obedience but asks for it anyway. It’s all for my benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment