Friday, May 7, 2021

Day 87 2 Kings 11:1–13:25




But the LORD was gracious to them and had compassion on them; he turned toward them, because of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Yet more kings with names that aren’t familiar, sound like other names, some are good and some are evil. Without a comprehensive family tree, I don’t know how I’d keep track of who was who. And still there’s things to learn. The reflection today focuses on God’s justice and mercy, and it too, made me scratch my head. Eventually, I warmed to the ideas.

In God’s world, Justice is when people receive treatment fitting their behavior; rewards for good and punishment for ill. The Old Testament is full of examples of justice, what with all of the kings and kingdoms being decimated because of doing what was evil in God’s sight. God’s mercy is shown when despite ill behavior, God reigns down love and graciousness. And there are plenty of examples of God’s mercy in the Old Testament as well, when good things happen to bad people.

The reflection focuses on the relationship between the two; how one cannot exist without the other. If God were only just, we’d all be doomed. We’ve all been ill behaved We’ve all been ill behaved. Mercy shows up as a stark contrast to justice. Likewise, If God were only merciful, it wouldn’t feel right. Justice is needed to hold God’s kingdom in order, but mercy is the greater gift.

As the author reflects, God shows kindness on the sinner as an act of mercy. God holds the sinner accountable as an act of justice. Both are needed, and both are entirely and solely in God’s domain, at least in a way that is God-like. In my observation of people, we have a predisposition to one or the other of these, and when we act in our slightly myopic way, it becomes clear that we need the other.

I, for example, am exceedingly good and clear at the justice half of this equation. And without mercy, my best intentions look legalistic solely punitive, and ultimately uncaring. Others I know are exceedingly good and clear with the mercy half of this equation. Without justice, mercy looks enabling, gullible, and ultimately uncaring. Both are needed, and God is probably the only one who can strike an appropriate balance.

This morning, I’m thinking about my disposition towards justice, and how I might insert more mercy in my thinking and actions. It’s not as easy as just deciding to be more merciful, as that’s just not how I’m wired. But luckily, I’ve got people around me who are wired that way. I need to let their merciful tendencies win the day, and thank them for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment